Thursday, January 27, 2005I should soon be getting my Secret Pal, and some poor unfortunate will be getting me! With a trapped nerve in my left shoulder (now a week old) still causing me discomfort, there is little knitting progress to report. So, with a no-picture entry in the offing, here is the "Standard Secret Pal Exchange Questionnaire":
1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer high- a nd/natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?
The first few things I made were acrylic and, while it has it's place, I think I'm "maturing" in terms of my yarn taste. Not my colour choice, mind you!
2. Do you spin? Crochet?
I crochet (a little) and I got a top-whorl drop spindle and some fibre for my birthday. Although, I'm still having a little trouble with it.
3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)
Ugh! I have weather and pollution induced asthma, a nickel intolerance (contact dermatitis), hayfever, exhema. I am also a lacto-ovo-vegetarian who tries (and often fails) to avoid animal by-products.
4. How long have you been knitting?
I first learnt at the age of seven, got bored, tried again when I was about fourteen, got frustrated and finally picked up the needles properly about two or three years ago.
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
I most certainly do!
6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
I like things like sandalwood, patchuli and lavender. Although nothing "heavy".
7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
Oh, boy, yes! I love chocolate (mostly milk, but hey, if it's dark, I'll take it). I also love licorice.
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
I love putting up shelves (I'm strange!)
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
OK, here's a flavour: Green Day, Sugababes, Tom Jones, Elvis, Linkin Park, Doris Day (no, really, I do). I am fully MP3-ed up - I even have a little player (not an iPod, but you can't have everything).
10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer?
Have a smooch around my website and you'll get the idea that I have a split personality. I love olive greens and deep purples, but I also like reds and oranges. I'd say it's a kind of autumn colour palate.
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I'm currently single with two part-time cats whom I provide entertainment to.
12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)
To be as healthy as I can, to be as good a person as I can and to be able to fulfill at least some of my ambitions.
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
I love working with Merino wool and the best I've worked with so far is Rowan Cork - hmmm....
I also liked the Rowan All Season's Cotton that I made my Klaralund out of.
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Mohair, definitely! It gets up my nose and makes me sneeze. Oh, and really squeaky acrylic - it goes right through me!
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
I'd have to say variegated yarns. Although I'm not overjoyed with the spin quality of Noro yarns, I do love the colours they produce.
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Ooh, tough one! I love the challenge of a complex patterned adult piece, but I also love that fact that socks can be so small and yet contain so many techniques.
17. What are you knitting right now?
The best bet is to peer over to the side bar and have a look at the WIP list. And that doesn't include the list of WIM projects (works in mind).
18. What do you think about ponchos?
Nice idea (I made a capelet), but because they are over-exposed, they are so yesterday darhling!
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
Circulars - they are so versatile.
20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Bamboo for cotton, aluminium for wool, plastic for cleaning the mud from my walking boots!
21. Are you a sock knitter?
A resounding YES!
22. How did you learn to knit?
A combination of my paternal grandmother, a book, and stubbornness!
23. How old is your oldest UFO?
Do I include the hat from about eight years ago that I never seamed? No? Then about 18 months old - my All-over lace cardigan that has stalled.
24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
Still liking Leela from Futarama, and I really like manatees (they're a cow that swims - how cool is that?).
25. What is your favorite holiday?
Since we don't really go in for "holidays" in the UK, I'll plump for the summer holidays!
26. Is there anything that you collect?
Ever since I was frightened by a frog in a Victorian-era public convenience I've amassed a small collection of frogs (not real ones, I must add). A picture will follow.
Well, I did all of that without referring to last years answers, so any inconsistencies can be put down to me being fickle.