Dyed in the Wool
A dyed-in-the-wool knitter shares mainly fibre-related information, updates and musings (with the occasional moan about the weather!).

Blazing needles

Saturday, April 02, 2005
Well, actually, they're not. I had originally cast on with the lovely Rowan Calmer (thank you, eBay) for Blaze from Knitty.com. I loved the idea of a relatively simple garment but with wonderful cable-detail.
It turns out that twisting a cable every other row was driving me crazy!

So, I ripped back, went surfing and found this: Nothin' But a Shirt from the ever-lovely Alison. I'm making modifications (obviously); longer sleeves, a v-neck, all one colour, using several sizes to get a perfect fit (and re-jigging the numbers as a result) and adding short row shaping at the bust. Oh, and I joined another knit along! I'll let you know how I get on!



[M. st. = moss stitch a.k.a. seed stitch]

Here, I offer a nugget of advice: it pays to wash your swatch. Before: 20.5 sts = 4". After: 19 sts = 4" (dead-on gauge). I'm sure that every other knitter in the world knows this but until recently I thought blocking was something to do with carpentry!

Thanks to the wonder that is James Bond, I finished the left front of Brigitte and succeeded in working a three-needle cast off (or three-needle bind off, if you like!) - pictures to follow when I've done the right front and tamed the curling.

In sock-related news, I finished my mum's Birthday socks on time (woo-hoo) and they look mighty snazzy.



Those are actually my mum's feet - you are lucky, lucky people. She doesn't have grey legs, those are just her "under-socks".

Computer-related stuff here: if anyone knows anything about JavaScript and can help me "do" pop-up windows can you leave a comment, or email me, please? I'd love to be able to give you bigger pictures without running into the sidebar!
8:10 pm :: ::
2 Comments:
  • Lol, this was something I was grappling with last night. Turning all square brackets into, er, pointy brackets (that you use with html, put in the following code:
    [a href="the pics url eg. http:www....jpg" target=new_page] [img src="the same url as before" width=362 height=254 ][/a] This will make a little pic (the size alterable by changeing the numbers in width and height - I normally go for half size of pic, but whatever you want, which when you clock on it will give a new window showing nothing but the original sized pic. Hope this is useful! :-D

    By Blogger Elly, at Saturday, 02 April, 2005  
  • Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I'll give it a dry run today on a page where no-one will be able to see if I mess it up!

    By Blogger AmyP, at Sunday, 03 April, 2005  
Post a Comment
<< Home

AmyP :: permalink