Dyed in the Wool
A dyed-in-the-wool knitter shares mainly fibre-related information, updates and musings (with the occasional moan about the weather!).

Unsolicited knitting help

Wednesday, April 12, 2006
Not offered to me, but by me!

There was a recent discussion on the Ample Knitters list about a pattern on the Garn Studio website. The flurry of emails was in response to an American contributor assuming that the measurements given were in inches. Being British I feel as if I'm in something of a unique position; I am fairly fluent in both metric and imperial.

For knitting, large distances and cooking I'm imperial. For small measurements, science-stuff, sewing and vast distances (space and the like) I'm metric. With this in mind, I will present a quick "How To" between inches and centimeters.

This is a very rough 'n' ready guide and should be used as such!

Length:
1" = 2.5 cm
4" = 10 cm
6" = 15 cm
12" = 30 cm
44" = 120 cm

There are 10 millimetres (mm) in 1 centimetre (cm) and 100 centimetres in 1 metre.

Weight:
g = gram
kg = kilogram (1000 grams)

2 oz = 50g (v. approx. - it's more like 55g)
4 oz = 100g (again more like 110g but it's close enough!)
18 oz = 500 g
35 oz = 1000g = 1kg


Let me know if you found this helpful at all, or if you'd like me to do more maths-stuff!

Argyle Scarf:




Lookin' good!



Eeep!


Tubey:


Thrilling - no?


Other stuff:

Progess on the above items isn't a great as you'd imagine becuase I'm currently working on three design items: 1 on the needles, 1 ready to go, and 1 on paper only (but the yarn is ready). I'm not ready to show anything yet, but once I learn their fate, I'll let you know! I've learnt the hard way that I'm best designing and making something, then writting up the pattern and then submitting it.

Why yes, Cindy, we do wear knotted handkerchiefs! In fact, under the bowler hats we have to wear by law, we all have one of these. David Beckam has a hand-printed silk one!


(Tongue firmly in cheek - and we won the Ashes! Yes, I know that you guys have won it for the past twenty years, but that's not stopped us crowing about 1966, so even when you win it back next year, it won't matter!)


Technorati tags: ; ;
1:05 pm :: ::
3 Comments:
  • Dear Amy, I am gurgling with laughter which has made The Labradors very confused!! How foolish of me not to realise this. I expect the Queen will be wearing one handknitted by a serf back in Henry VIII's time on her birthday later this month. How could I ever have pooh-poohed your headwear!!!
    I am bi-measurementarian too, having learned both systems at school, our changeover was '74!!!
    Your socks are very beautiful but the back's nowhere near as scary as the Dr Who ZUC back!!
    Love,
    Cindy,
    Harki-Parki-Parker-Posey and
    Peri Naughty the Golden Labradors
    PS Peter Davison was the Mystery Voice on our local ABC breakfast radio this morning - it's his birthday!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, 13 April, 2006  
  • wow, that argyle scarf is quite ambitious! Good luck with that, but of cuorse your dad will love it. I don't bother converting much stuff, I can find it anywhere, esp. on the net, but it was very kind of you to figure it out. i'm sure those that are like-minded will appreciate it.

    By Blogger WandaWoman, at Friday, 14 April, 2006  
  • I don't think the US will EVER go fully metric. It's just enough to keep everyone confused around here =) It's nice that meters and yards are close to the same, though, and that the tip of my pinky finger is about a centimeter in width =))

    Awesome do-rag, dude! LOL LOL

    How about some refreshers in the theorums (i prob'ly can't even spell it anymore) of Geometry?

    If A=B and B=C then A=C
    All right angles are equal
    Opposite angles are equal
    sine, co-sine and tangent!

    By Blogger JustApril, at Friday, 14 April, 2006  
Post a Comment
<< Home

AmyP :: permalink