Dyed in the Wool
A dyed-in-the-wool knitter shares mainly fibre-related information, updates and musings (with the occasional moan about the weather!).

What's a girl to do?

Thursday, September 22, 2005
With lace-weight merino, anyway!

I bought the Bella Lace Poncho pattern at the same time I got the Lotus Blossom Shawl pattern. I have a huge cone of grey/black slubby lace yarn which I was planning on making it with. I now have more than enough olive merino to make two of these, but I'm procrastinating! I've requested "A Gathering of Lace" from my library, so I'll have a look at these patterns and see if anything grabs me. If you have any totally favourite patterns for shawls (or stoles, or ponchos, or wraps....) would you mind sharing? I'm not above buying a pattern if it is "IT". I do have 4 x 980 yds of the stuff, so you can go big!





Oh, Caroline!

And now, for something new!



It is impossible to photograph this colour in any light. It's like a deep blood red, but in all the pictures I take of it the colour is always more orange!?

This is a straight-up-and-down cabled tank from the free patterns section of Berroco, knit in the Rowan Cork left over from my "Grandad jumper".

For those not interested in mathematics and probability, look away now!

OK: a straight cabled tank ain't the one for me. I need a little excitement. So, using my knowledge of maths I went for probability-based cabling.

Here comes the science! For each cable (4 per side, 8 in total) I have a choice of CB8 or CF8 - one option out of two. What has two of something and if you use it, you can only get one result? A coin! If you toss a coin an infinite number of time, half will land with heads, and half will land with tails - with me so far? A coin has a probability value (P) of 0.5, where P=0 is never happens and P=1 is always happens. For example, the chance of the sun rising in the morning (assuming you don't live in either of the polar circles) is 1 and the chance of me waking up and finding out that I am a fly is (I hope) 0.

I've kept the cable crossing on row 9, as per the pattern, but whether or not I cross forwards or backwards depends on the toss of a coin.

I'm liking the way it's turning out, so far, but I think the true impact will only be seen once it's full-sized and off the needles.

Martha:

It's getting colder and knitting with a harsh 4-ply cotton is not fun, but I'm keeping going. The problem with knitting a me-sized garment on 3 mm needles with a 4-ply yarn is the lack of visible progress. I know I've knit more than the last time I took a picture (I can see the difference and can count the pattern repeats) but seems like I've got miles to go. This is, after all, only the back of the blinkin' thing. I'm getting seriously tempted to shove it to the bottom of somewhere deep and forget about it until spring, but then I'll probably never pick it up again. :Le sigh: - onwards and upwards it is then!


Random whinging stuff.

  • Bl**dy neighbours who wont pay twenty flipping quid to a plumber for unclogging a dodgy shared drain that just happens to be in my disabled parent's back garden (which means they have to go through the stress and literal mess of it all and may end up subbing some people).
  • My incompetence in the general sock-making area (see entry below)
  • The more I revise, the more I realise just how little I've learnt during the year, the more upset I get with myself.
  • The more I revise, the more tired I get ....


D'ya get the picture?


Sorry for the moan - I don't normally vent but apart from Skittermagoo Chris's socks arriving this morning it's been a pretty crappy day. I am so over me right now (apart from the cable tank - that's going really well!) I'll cheer up after the 17th of October. I promise!


EDIT: I just got the last assignment back that I did for the oceanography course and I got 73%. Needless to say, I'm feeling better!

To show this, here's a picture of the sky for Sandy.



11:45 am :: ::
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home

AmyP :: permalink