Dyed in the Wool
A dyed-in-the-wool knitter shares mainly fibre-related information, updates and musings (with the occasional moan about the weather!).

Big Girl Knits: a mini review

Monday, May 08, 2006
"The girl on the cover's cute!" - thus speaketh my brother. I think that Amy and Jill will now rest easy knowing that the model they chose has my brother's seal of approval!



Tubey:


08-05-06 001
Tubey Sleeves as of 8th of May


I decided that the bell sleeves weren't for me, but I couldn't be bothered doing the necessary maths to do a shaped sleeve. I decided that starting the 3/1 ribbing at the elbow would probably do the job quite well.

08-05-06 002
3/1 ribbing


Stuff from the last post:



You know, until I got those two comments about the paper-clips-as-stitch-markers I'd forgotten that I use them! They only work for diameters less than about 4.5 mm (I think that's a US 7?), but they're perfect; they don't slip under your stitches, if you get coloured ones you can deliniate different sections, and they're cheap! For needle diameters greater than 4.5 mm, I tend to use my homemade markers or just some differently-coloured yarn.

Science & Knitting News:


The Perils of Cheerleading (!)

A DNA Cable and lace tank top (so cool - I've got to have me one of these!)

Space ship "cloaking device" proposed.

The Summer issue of Interweave Knits looks promising (steady, April, I know they're not you're favourite people in the world right now!)


Sorry about the smilies-as-bullet points. I can't do an ordinary list because of the formating that comes from the blog template. Blah ... blah ... blah ... tech stuff that's probably sent people to sleep!


A little sneek-peek:


This is a new design for a women's cardigan (i.e. for me) in Sirdar Denim Chunky.


It's something I've been thinking about for a while now and this is what I've done so far:

Clickable to make bigable:

08-05-06 004
08-05-06 006
Knit-side as right-side (lace more visible)
08-05-06 003
08-05-06 005
Purl-side as right-side (more texture for the stocking stitch and lace more subtle)



Technorati tags: ; ;
2:47 pm :: ::
4 Comments:
  • OK! I HAVE to make the DNA cable top! Can you just imagine the confused looks on the people who walk by? Knitting DNA, hmmmmm, I like that idea =) sigh

    OH, the Interweave people FINALLY got it together. I yelled at them till they sent me one, and OF COURSE got both issues on the same day! hmmmmmm so the other one was lost and the 2nd one they sent grabbed the other one by the scruff of the binding and said, "GIT yer butt home!" hahahah

    So I sent the extra one to Mica =)

    By Blogger JustApril, at Monday, 08 May, 2006  
  • Sounds like you've had the same thoughts as me about Tubey (can't stand flappy bell sleeves), except that I'm thinking of starting the ribbing from the shoulder, when I get to that bit (only started knitting last night!), and I may possibly go from 3x1 ribbing to 1x1 ribbing when I get to just below the elbow

    By Blogger Mary-Lou, at Monday, 08 May, 2006  
  • I like the flappy sleeve as a concept, I think a bit of flap at the end of my arm might make it look a bit slimmer!! I love your brother's review - he cut straight to the chase!! I want a DNA Scarf now!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, 11 May, 2006  
  • Mary-Lou: Great minds think alike (fools seldom differ?)
    Cindy: The only thing that would make my arms look slimmer would be lypo! And my brother is a genius when it come's to cutting the c...!

    By Blogger AmyP, at Thursday, 11 May, 2006  
Post a Comment
<< Home

AmyP :: permalink