Dyed in the Wool
A dyed-in-the-wool knitter shares mainly fibre-related information, updates and musings (with the occasional moan about the weather!).

A little science in your living room

Friday, September 01, 2006
Or dining room. Or on your front porch!

A little background: my mum reckons that we (me and her) have an unusually wide heel depth in comparison to the rest of our feet. I would like to approach this in a scientific manner, and so I need some external help.

I need three measurements: heel depth, foot circumference and ankle circumference. I have ably enlisted the help of my foot to demonstrate what I mean (but use a tape measure not a piece of elastic like I did!)

First, catch your foot. Geeky sock optional
foot measure 1

Measurement 1:
foot measure 2

Measurement 2:
foot measure 4

Measurement 3:
foot measure 3

I'd love it if you could take these three measurements (with foot length/shoe size optional) and email me or leave me a comment. These can be in centimetres or inches, and the shoe size can be European/UK/US/Japanese/Klingon - I have the power to do the conversion. Well, a clever little table, anyway! I'll then do some magical jiggery-pokery with some stats software and I'll see if there is any correlation! Yes, I'm a geek. This is an established fact, and I'm fine with it. Really, I'm fine with it.


Technorati tags: ; ;
8:17 pm :: ::
9 Comments:
  • #1 ='s 12" oh 30cm
    #2 ='s 9" or 22cm
    #3 ='s 8" or 20.3cm


    But I think my foot is weird, too. Feet are weird

    By Blogger JustApril, at Friday, 01 September, 2006  
  • #1=30,5 cm
    #2=22,5 cm
    #3=24 cm
    foot length=25 cm
    Happy researching/calculating!

    By Blogger javede, at Friday, 01 September, 2006  
  • #1: 30cm
    #2: 21cm
    #3: 23cm
    Foot length, 23.5cm
    I wear size 6.5 shoes.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, 01 September, 2006  
  • #1: 10 inches
    #2: 7.5 inches
    #3: 7.5 inches

    Foot length, 9 inches
    Boot size, Euro 36

    Are you going to find the standard deviation too? I'm getting giddy...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, 02 September, 2006  
  • #1: 30cm
    #2: 20cm
    #3: 21cm

    Foot length: 22 cm
    Shoe size: 5.5 (UK)

    Now you've made me curious

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, 03 September, 2006  
  • My measurements are as follows:

    #1 - 30 cm
    #2 - 20.5 cm
    #3 - 21 cm

    I wear a size 7 or 6.5 (Canadian/US) and the length of my foot is 23.5 cm.

    I'm looking forward to seeing your analysis!

    By Blogger Robin, at Friday, 08 September, 2006  
  • geeky knitting statistics -- how excellent!

    #1: 13"
    #2: 9"
    #3: 9"

    foot length = 10"

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, 10 September, 2006  
  • I'll help the geekiness!
    1: 11.5"
    2: 8"
    3: 9"
    foot length = 9" (UK size 4)

    I hope that helps to give significance to your hypothesis!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, 11 September, 2006  
  • Will the results change building regulations ?????
    1- 29 cm
    2- 22 cm
    3- 24 cm

    length 21.3 cm

    Does that hinder or help.
    Be warned...I was left alone to do the measuring and I am generally not allowed to operate mathematical machinery on my own!!!

    By Blogger MrsDrWho, at Tuesday, 12 September, 2006  
Post a Comment
<< Home

AmyP :: permalink