Dyed in the Wool
A dyed-in-the-wool knitter shares mainly fibre-related information, updates and musings (with the occasional moan about the weather!).

The tale of an idiot

Friday, October 28, 2005
Picture the scene; it's Wednesday morning and I trek down to the village to get my hair beaten back into submission. Forty minutes later, it has succumbed and I traipse off the other end of the village to the haberdashers to buy yarn for "Christmas things". I buy said yarn (two balls of DK and one ball of aran) and go home. I get home, take the carrier bag out and look at the yarn. I swear (loudly and frequently). I've forgotten to buy yarn for the fingerless mittens and scarf set I wanted to make for my neighbour. I swear again. I write myself a reminder to go back down to the village sometime next week. I swear again.



L-R: yarn for Menknit item, yarn for two pairs of Cigar Gloves.




Things that I like:

The fact that my name spelt backwards means "Here" in Welsh.

My Mum's cardigan:

I have to come up with a better name for it than that, so here are the choices:

Her "true" Elvish name: Lanyare from http://www.elvish.org/elm/names.html

All from http://www.myprecious.us/name_generator.php

Hobbit name Aludda Smallburrow , Princess of the Halflings

Elvin name Cuthien Queen of Lórien

Dwarf name Clylla Zirak

Human name Eowirethien Envinyatar

Wizard name Arien , Lady of the Valar

Since she's not tall and willowy I don't think that the elvish names are appropriate, but I do think she's a bit magic, so I think I'll call the cardigan "Arien".

Progress so far (click on the picture for a larger view of the labels):



Books, lovely books:

I got A Gathering of Lace and Loop-d-loop from the library! I think that GOL might have to be "acquired" sometime in the future. There are quite a few patterns that have caught my eye (mainly in the shawls category) and I think I'll have a mass of the Olive lace weight left over after I've finished the mystery shawl.




Loop-d-loop is also really good. I love the riding jacket, the bias fair isle jumper, the slip stitch kilt (as a shawl though), the ballet top and the steek tank (the last two don't have photos, but Google and there'll be a ton). I'm not sure if this is a "keeper", but I can definitely see myself making at least one thing (the steek tank in Rowan Cotton Tape).




Something to brighten my day:

I submitted my "I'm knitting not revising photo" to Uknitty's competition to commemorate UK knitting week - and I won!

I got four skeins of Louisa Harding Sari Silk yarn:



(complete with lolly and pen)

I'm off to recover from the flu jab I had yesterday and watch Bleak House.
8:36 pm :: ::
3 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home

AmyP :: permalink